Monday 5 October 2015

Listening to Cicero


"A home without books is a body without soul."  
Marcus Tullius Cicero


 If Cicero is right then my home has a whole lotta soul.


Paperbacks spill across every surface in here, my room. Little stacks of them on my floor, my desk, my shelves

One day I might even read them all.


I’ve got a problem, it would seem. 

A book-specific kleptomaniac-ish type of problem. Whenever I find that I’ve stumbled absentmindedly into a bookshop – and this happens far too often - it’s not an option to simply leave empty handed. 



Three books seems to do it. 
                   Why three books? 
I don’t know. It just feels right, okay? 
There’s just something about the number three that feels right, you know? Plato believed that there are three parts to the soul - maybe that explains it. I need a book for each part of my soul. It’s actually really profound and Romantic and lovely…


...But I also might just be greedy.
                Never listen to the excuses of an uncontrollable bibliophile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment